Saturday, December 02, 2006

72 hours in one of the most stunning cities in the world. Off to Cape Town to stay with friends in Nyanga East.

I am very excited to be packing my bags to head off for three days in/near Cape Town. I will be staying with family friends the Aprils who live in Nyanga East which is one of the many townships outside Cape Town and is near Cape Town International Airport. It is near Gugulethu, Khayelitsha, Langa and other townships. I have been to the April’s home before when my mom, dad and sister were in southern Africa in 4 years ago in December and I came from Mozambique to travel with them. I first went to this area in 2000 when I was on the 6 week study abroad through my Alma Mater Principia College. I then visited Gugulethu and Khayelitsta. I will share much more when I get back late Tuesday night. If you visit Etownships.co.za you can learn more about Nyanga East and the other townships in the area plus those throughout South Africa. And for those of you who are concerned to hear I will be spending three days in a township I am confident that the April’s their neighbors, etc. will treat me with love and respect and I will have great stories to share with you. Also the Aprils are well known and respected in their community and doing great things through their church, theatrical groups and more. Finally, Nyanga means “moon”.

1 comment:

Yzerfontein said...

Enjoy Cape Town - and I agree - it's pretty.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping