Thursday, February 22, 2007

Carnival 2007 in Rosario da Limeira, Minas Gerais, Brasil!

On Saturday I went to the opening of Carnival with Alexandre and Claudio and we stayed till about 2 in the morning and then drove/walked home and got to bed after three. The music was good, people energetic, weather perfect and atmosphere fun filled for the whole family. Very different I am sure (even though I have never been) from Carnival in places like Rio de Janeiro and Bahia. It was cool to see the whole family there from little baby to great grandparents. Then on Tuesday Claudio and I returned for the final night of Carnival with Rosa Virginia, Sally and Gustavo and we had a good time but I think the music wasn't quite as good as it had been a few nights earlier. It got so cheesy at points that I expected Fabio to get up on stage and strut his stuff. I was too tired from traveling these past 2 plus months to go any further than 40 minutes away for Carnival and it was a perfect speed for me with a more family atmosphere and unlike Mike who traveled to Bahia I didn't have to worry about people putting their hands in my pocket constantly trying to steal money, etc.
Gustavo and Rosa Virginia with two boys who were collecting aluminum cans which are worth money when sold to a recycler.
Stage where performances are held in middle of Rosario da Limeira the nearest small town/village to Iracambi about 40 minutes by car.
Ummm....wow that looks really disgusting. Sorry to pass judgment and while some of my friends at this "fast food" I choose to go without dinner.
Another picture of the main square/plaza from the street. You can see all the banners that were put up to decorate and the entrepreneurs making cash off of selling beer in the red tent.
Reminiscent of Marci Gras I imagine.
Uh oh might it rain?
Group consisting mainly of older folks who first paraded on foot and by car and then drove and walked into the central square to dance and have fun. Some men, like the man on the left with the peach shirt and bandanna, dressed in drag.
Red sky at night on this night meant our delight as the rain held off yet when we were heading back to Iracambi we walked through areas where it had recently rained. It seems it often rains up here but not down towards Limeira.
While the music and the crowd was entertaining and entertained I would have to say that most of the music tonight was rather cheesy love music and the dancing by the men and women was hilarious at times.
Who is this weird guy looking as if he is gonna eat the photographer?
Thats right all you Mozambique RPCVs and others who have traveled there, Mozambique isn't the only place where the locals love thumbs up. Rosa Virginia is on the left followed by Claudio, Sally and me.
Claudio and Gustavo having a great time playing the air guitar ala Scrubs and going thumbs up as well.
We left around 12:45 as we all had to get up and work the next day. Of course the last song was one of my favorites, in fact it is one that Heather or Anthony from SIT shared with me.

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping