Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hiking the Iracambi High Trail/Trilha Alta on a sunny Saturday in February.

Brian, a avid birder from the UK who has been birding throughout Latin America, a bit in Africa and Europe took Sally, a volunteer from Chicago and Rosa Virginia a Venezuelan living in Massachusetts and like me studying at SIT, plus myself of course on a 5k or so hike up on the High Trail above the research center here at Iracambi. This took place Saturday morning and the following are pictures from this trip. I won't write much as they are pretty self explanatory and I am still getting to know the area so I don't know much natural history, geology, anthropology, etc. yet.
This sign just says "Iracambi Limited-Graminha Farm...It is prohibited to hunt, fish or cut trees." Reminds me of signs on my grandmothers 4oo plus acres of land in Maine that she wants to turn into some type of conservancy.
This sign says "Beginning of the High Trail"
Brian is in front, followed by Rosa Virginia and then Sally.
We did see some birds on our hike but I was not able to get any on film (digital) but I did manage to get some great scenic and wildlife shots still.Looks beautiful until you think that once all this land was forested and today so much of it has been cut for ranching and growing of crops such as coffee. Of course then the beef ends up at McDonalds and the coffee at Star Bucks. Globalization OOC (out of control) once again.Here again you can see how "development" has led towards bare hillsides, mudslides and more destruction of the planet.
I found a friend or better yet it found me. If you think it looks beautiful/interesting from above you should see it when it flies from the underside. I am not very knowledgeable about insects but they are very diverse here coming in all sorts of colors, shapes and sizes.
The road not yet traveled. And one our children may never see if we keep treating the planet like our play thing.

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping