Monday, November 27, 2006

Another reason to go to Cuba. SUSTAINABILITY! Watch Cuba: The Accidental Revolution if you can.

If my interest in traveling to, learning from and maybe working in Cuba wasn’t peaked before it surely has been now and I am enjoying the shivers going down my spine while reading about Cuba’s “Green Revolution”. Ironically the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1989 and decade’s old US blockade on Cuba may have developed a blueprint for sustainable growth, agriculture and other practices that could go a long way towards reversing the trends of global warming we are experience. That is if the rest of the world takes notice of the great work being done in Cuba, chooses similar methods and takes action. My aunt Sarah sent me an email about a two part documentary on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s (CBC) “The Nature of Things” which is hosted by Dr. David Suzuki (also see his CBC profile)(one of the people who would save our world from our selfish actions if given more help, money and power). The documentary is called Cuba: The Accidental Revolution and it is a composed of “two one-hour documentaries celebrating the country's success in providing for itself in the face of a massive economic crisis, and how its latest revolutions, an agricultural revolution and a revolution in science and medicine are having repercussions around the world.”

If any of you are in Canada and can record this for me I would be very grateful. I will see if my dad can’t get it from the States but who knows. I have spoken about Cuba in at least two other blog entries and the more I learn about this island nation the more I am impressed with wo/man’s ingenuity when placed in difficult situations and ability to prosper as well as provide a better life for people and the planet. The write up about Cuba: The Accidental Revolution concludes by saying:

“Will Cuba's "Green Revolution" become a blueprint for sustainable agriculture, medicine, and biotechnology, or will it be swept aside by the economic weight of foreign investors? Or will the public clamour for consumer goods from a weary people, fed up with lack of choice, overwhelm contemporary Cuba? Will Cuba's enormous experiment in sustainable development be maintained if the U.S. embargo is lifted and Cuba is exposed to the brutal arena of world trade? Whatever the future of Cuba's accidental revolution, Castro and his country has shown that alternatives do exist.” Watch it if you can and I am sure you will be surprised, inspired and educated.

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping