Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Tuku Music: Oliver I am ready for you to rock this Saturday night. Good to witness a positive influence out of Zimbabwe.

Normally I write about things after they happen but I am (and have been for a few weeks now) so excited about seeing Oliver Mtukudzi and The Black Spirits (link is to Calabash Music.com which I have promoted before on this blog) in concert this Saturday that I want to tell you about it before it happens. They will be playing at the Bassline in Newtown Cultural Precinct in downtown Jozi where I went on August 5th to see Busi Mhlongo and Lura. I guess in a way this is my own “Minority Report” on the concert which I am sure will be great.

I am also excited because many of the concerts I have gone to while in SA, I have gone to on my own but this time two friends will be going with me. Marcilio will be staying the weekend again and it will be fun to have him along and then Miki, Christian Science friend who was at Principia prior to me, will be coming to town from Pretoria and the three of us will have a great time together. I have been a fan of Oliver’s since I first heard his music when I was in Mozambique and had various friends in Mozambique who saw him perform in Beira and have really wanted to see him as well. In February or March of 2005 my parents and I saw a great documentary on Oliver called Shanda at the 15th Annual Cascade Festival of African Films in Portland. Interestingly enough Oliver started in 1977 which I am told was a special year to my parents. The first band he played with is called Wagon Wheels which featured Thomas Mapfumo (also Calabash Music.org) who is another legendary Zimbabwean musician. Coincidentally Mapfumo has been living in Oregon for some years now and I saw him play in concert at the Oregon Zoo in August of 2004 as part of their Summer Concert Series. Mapfumo moved to the States after speaking out and singing disparaging songs about the Mugabe government which got him in to trouble and led to alleged accusations that he was involved in criminal activities.

I also want to wish you a Happy November 1st! I can’t believe October is gone and I really don’t think I ever had a September. Time really has flown since being here in South Africa. Amazingly I have less than seven weeks with my internship/practicum and then as I mentioned on Sunday in my blog where I asked for contacts and ideas about traveling to Kenya, I will be going to Moz for the holidays and then to the World Social Forum in Nairobi, as well as visiting other parts of Kenya. I have spent the past few days sending emails to people that I know who know people in Kenya, people I know in Kenya, etc. and so far have gotten some great responses but if you have more ideas please send them to me!

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping