Friday, April 20, 2007

Lost in Translation..a gay mixed race couple in South Africa?...Afrikaans to Portuguese to Dutch to English to Portuguese.

I am not afraid to say that I love this guy and he is one of my best friends in the whole world but this blog is all about Marcilio's stubbornness which must have provided and still be providing laughs for Afrikaans speakers in South African.

For those of you, like me, who can't read Afrikaans that is ok because my friend Ruud from the Netherlands, who left us here at Iracambi on Sunday to return home, graciously agreed to translate the shirt into English. In Afrikaans it reads "Vanaf 25/06/2005 geraak ik die vent niet meer kwijt." In English this means "Since July, 25th, 2005, I can't get rid of this guy anymore.” Which Ruud surmised must have been a “fun wedding present for a bride” a good guess if I say so.

This might explain why Marcilio and I got such strange looks at the “Joburg City Day” concert we went to together. Can you imagine people at the concert who were able to read Marcilio’s shirt and wondering whether the guy he hasn’t been able to get rid of since July ’05 was me? They must have found us to be an unusual couple for sure. Yes, Marcilio you owe me an apology because I warned you on multiple occasions to not wear the shirt without knowing what it means but in retrospect it was a great shirt to wear and I think you should continue to wear it. What a cool international shirt for sure from Afrikaans to Portuguese to Dutch to English and back to Portuguese for me to explain to Marcilio.

A great weekend to you all and don’t forget it is important to have at least one person in your life who you can’t get rid of but also can’t live without like my great buddy Marcilio.

3 comments:

N and A said...

Very Fun! Ash

Anonymous said...

I think you'd make a lovely couple!

liam said...

Great post.Learning different languages is hard but fun.We were able to grasps the culture of every languages we translate.A lost in Portuguese translation or any translation should not hinder us to know exactly about one's history and culture.Especially in the ever faster moving world of globalized business, successful information and technology transfer within multinational businesses can make the difference between win or lose.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping