Friday, April 27, 2007

Tempestuous times at Iracambi with heavy rains and raging rivers

For those of you who have been following my blog lately you have seen what I believe are two promises of photos of recent "floods" we had in the area due to torrential downpour and over flowing river banks. If you don't believe me after the photo above take a look at the next few. The first in each set was taken on Tuesday the 24th and the second few days later from about the same position. The rain that produced the first of each set was rather hard and lasted for about an hour and it was amazing to come down to the kitchen area and see how the river was being swept away. A few days later when I made the trek down to Casa do Barro I saw that one of the foot bridges we use had been clearly moved by the floods.
As we are in autumn heading in to winter the rain is supposed to lessen and I wonder if this was the last real rainy week I will see here at Iracambi. The bridge we use to cross and head up the hill is almost not necessary as seen in the above photo.
I sure wouldn't have tried to cross this frothing waterway on this day, especially as our foot bridge which is barely visible (mostly underwater) in the middle patch of trees near the far side of the bank, was inaccessible and in danger of being swept away. The furor of this normally calm river (almost stream) was quite amazing.
The group of trees almost to the far right of this picture is the same one where the footbridge was during the above shot and amazingly enough it survived. I stood in almost the same position to take this photo and if I didn't tell you there was water coming down you almost might not believe me.
This is the path we walk across to get to the viveiro (nursery), some trails, and head to part of the community and on this day it was only crossable in boots or bare feet but even then moving rather swiftly from left to right.
Here is that same path!!!! These final two were just some of the calm after the storm which gave a good sign that drier more peaceful times were on their way.
What a lovely way to end a photo story almost as nice as a sunset!

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping