Saturday, May 26, 2007

Cemetary photos in Sao Paulo

For many years now I have enjoyed taking pictures at cemeteries that I have come across during my travels. I visited a rather big and old one while in Sao Paulo to take some pictures while trying to respect the dead (and living as in family and staff) but also get a feel for how a Brazilian cemetery looks. This was an overwhelming cemetery in terms of religious icons, large head stones and other pieces made out of marble and ohter materials and it was interesting to see the range from care to disrepair.
The name on the grave above which is very Italian was not a surprise to come across. At times in Sao Paulo I had to remind myself that I wasn't in Italy. The way Portuguese is spoken, the architecture, food and more were really reminiscent of my three weeks in Italy in 2000.
Very pious....almost reminds me of a Mel Gibson movie.
Not as over the top as others in terms of materials used but you can see that this one does not get visited as often as there are no fresh flowers, plants, etc.
A more obvious state of disrepair. Was this person trying to get out or was someone trying to get in?
You know your family is dead and gone, has left the country or doesn't care when your grave turns in to the cemetery trash dump.
At least something is growing but it looks like the family went to Europe on vacation for a few months.
This is more like it, simple marble work, little well pruned hedges, well kept flowers and a vase.
And finally just to make sure you don't do anything bad once your body is dead here is Jesus to watch over you.

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping