Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Picture post: spring has gone and summer is here to stay. The temperature is rising daily and thunderstorms will bring some relief.

Marcilio was here again last weekend and we passed Friday purely talking and hoping the power wouldn’t go out as a thunderstorm was raging outside. We didn’t dare keep my computer turned on so we had no music to listen to, internet to send emails, look at pictures from our times together, etc. The power didn’t go out which I figured it would as it was windy and rainy outside so at least we could see each other. Ironically enough it went out for a few hours last night meaning that on the hottest day until today, since I came to South Africa I wasn’t able to run my fan. We are not sure why the power went out last night, if it was a repair taking place, accident that took down a pole, thief who stole part of the power line to sell it or other reason. Yes, here in South Africa it seems that out of necessity or greed people still power lines, rail road ties and all other things that bring them some quick cash but can cause problems for so many others. I am not unaccustomed to this as the same happened in Mozambique and I am sure it happens to many countries underdeveloped and “developed”.

Enough writing the point of the post was to share some images of the seasonal change from spring to summer. If it is still spring and today was at least 90, yesterday 88 and Monday 85, I won’t even wait around for summer. They say that Friday and Saturday it is supposed to rain and cool off a bit, which will be welcomed. I only want to know why the weather chooses to rain on the weekends and be sunny during the week. On a sad note though it seems that a couple of people seem to be struck by lightening each time there is a thunderstorm here. Ironic that the much needed rain should have a negative effect on people. I think in part people are not always aware of the dangers of lightening. I wonder if the government has done any awareness campaigns.


This is my favorite tree in the yard and at the end of each day as the golden rays of the setting sun are at the highest places such as the tops of this tree the orange/yellow flowers you see in this tree look like they are ablaze.


Forget Rolaids, I spell relief "P-O-O-L". Can you believe I have only been in once since getting here but then again this week has been really the only time that a dip in the Smith's swimming hold has been waranted.


You may be saying that this is not the most colorful or exciting photo and I agree but this was just to give you a sense what the place looked like around a month ago when the grass was still very brown from winter and the first signs of spring were arriving like this glorious hanging flower in this tree.
I can't exactly tell the Rose Festival in Portland to eat its heart out but I guarantee you that this rose is very sweet smelling and a welcome addtion to the garden. Don't worry mom and dad your yard is much more creative, colorful and cared for. Nothing personal to Linzi and Doug, they are just hardly around and when they are they are busy.


I love the sunlight coming through the white part of this flower. Have you noticed that other than the rose, which might not even be a rose, I haven't said the names of any flowers. While I can be helpful in the yard I really have never stopped to learn the names of various trees, flowers, etc.
This is just an idea of what a wide open African sky is like . You might be saying but look at all the trees in the way and this is just because I chose to use them as a frame for the colorful sky with reddening clouds.


This is the photo that I "borrowed" from Doug. By the time I got there to photograph this flower it was already "out for lunch". I like how the darker flowers in the foreground contrast with the lighter ones.


I will have to find out the name of this flower and let you know. I think they are called something like "paintbrushes" which makes sense from the looks of them. I took this picture yesterday and when I went to take another today it was all but done for. It is amazing how quick seasons change and things come and go. The great part is that you know that all you have to do is wait a bit and a change will be on the way.


I had to finish off with a sunsetish photo. The silhoutte in the bottom left and middle is the roof of the office/my house. I love the sunbeams or rays near the top of the photo that were breaking through the cloud in the lower middle that was trying to take away today's sunset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with this blog, but did you know that I was a purple pansy in a play in first grade? I had an enormous mask that looked exactly like the pansies i nthe picture in your blog. And the rest of me was green. Lovely image, huh?!

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping